CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 2, 2008

How can it be Sunday again already? Time moves so fast. It feels like just hours ago that I was preparing for movie night. Every Friday Andy goes and picks up a movie and we have family movie night. We eat dinner in front of the TV, then kids pick a lap and curl up to watch whatever offering Daddy has brought home. At some point the kids start begging for a treat so we pause the show and dish up whatever special thing I've prepared just for them.

This week Andy picked a classic, Old Yeller. I'd never seen it so I didn't know what to expect. It was one of Andy's favorites growing up. When Isaac realized the poor dog was a goner he freaked out!! He's pretty smart and his comprehension skills are at an 8th grade level (he's been tested)so he figured this out long before the actual time of Yellers death. Now anyone who knows Isaac knows that he loves dogs! Heck he thinks he's part dog! For real, I'm not kidding. He didn't take Yellers death well. He paced back and forth between the kitchen and living room just completely devastated. Not wanting to watch but somehow compelled to see the end. Sobbing all the way through it. Maia just sat in her daddy's lap and watched. Isaac and I sat in the rocker sobbing, both of us devastated. This somehow surprised Andy. He thought Maia would be crying and Isaac would be a little sad, not the other way around. I could've told him how this scenario would play out though. Maia is so much like her daddy and Isaac is so much like me. Which reminds me, don't mention to Isaac that I'm sharing his secrets. He's more of a private person, just like me! This isn't the first time Andy's done a less than stellar job picking out our movie selections. Isaac used to love Jack and the Beanstalk. When he was about 2 we had a pop up Jack book that he loved. At night he started asking me to sing Jack. Of course there was no Jack song but he wouldn't take no for an answer. I had to make up a song on the fly that eventually became part of our nightly ritual. For 5 years I sang this silly song at each and every bedtime...Maia and Asher came to love it as well. Last year Andy came home with what he thought was a perfect movie...some remade version of Jack and the Beanstalk with a modern twist. The movie was an unbearable 3 hours long (not exaggerating here) and incredibely scary. We tried to turn it off but the kids were already invested in the outcome. Maia was completely freaked out and never wanted anything to do with Jack again. Our old favorite book disappeared and our Jack song died that night as well. Maia tried to love the song again but she just couldn't do it. I kinda miss that song. Poor Andy misses the song too, he felt like he had killed a very special part of their childhood that night. He also learned a very important lesson, when picking a movie for the kids always always always check the running time on the back. We never want to sit through 3 hours of a bad movie again. Unfortunately our latest movie night ended badly. When trying to console Isaac, Andy mentioned that Shiloh was getting old and we were lucky she was still around. I'm not exactly sure how that's supposed to be comforting but okay. Andy was really trying to help in his own special daddy kinda way. I think momma's are probably better at comforting words. Anyway Isaac secretly came to me crying even harder than before because now in his mind his best friend in the whole wide world is sitting on deaths doorstep. I gave an extra long hug and explained that Sandy ( my parents dog) was 17 years old so we could have a whole lotta years left with Shiloh. Isaac perked right up and skipped off to bed. But not before he told his daddy he was wrong. I said a silent prayer that my boy brings his concerns, worries, and problems to me and this time I had the words to help him. Next week I think I'm gonna pick the movie!

Maia has been battling a fever all weekend long. No other symptoms just a fever. She looks so run down though and I am praying we get through this soon. She has been through the wringer this week. Poor girl!!

Isaac had his Cub Scout banquet this weekend and was awarded with belt loops, beads and patches. Very very exciting stuff. I stayed home with Maia and Asher but Andy did take some pics.

Asher has been play"bing" with his people all weekend. He wanted to skip church today because he is afraid I will put his people and town away. I assured him the mess will all still be out when he got home.

I'm finishing up my latest project...a baby book someone asked me to create. It's almost done then I have to get to work on a deep clean of the house and the mountain of laundry piled up in my basement. Oh and shopping-Maia needs some shoes that will fit over her airsplint and Isaac needs a new coat.

I almost forgot Paw Paw wanted to know why Isaac's men were hanging out in the freezer. Duh- he was turning them into ice cubes!!!

By the way if you are reading then leave a comment. It might motivate me to keep sharing the details of our lives.