CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 7, 2008

National History Day is... well.......history. Due to the never ending snow and upcoming blizzard they were forced to cancel. I'm disappointed because we were really looking forward to this day all year. We had so much fun judging last year and were so excited when they invited us back. Last year we judged jr group exhibits, this year we were slated to judge documentaries. I learned a couple of big lessons last year during the competition. First lesson being: judges are just ordinary people too. When we were first contacted to participate I thought to myself, what the heck I'm not qualified to do this, then I accepted the position:) I mean really though, how am I qualified to judge these projects. We had the hefty responsibility of sending kids to state level competition or sending them home empty handed. At first I was very intimidated, then I realized these kids were terrified of me? Little old me who has been terrified of authority for my whole life? Me who had such a hard time when I went to speech competitions and science fairs? It's true though these kids were scared to death of me. I felt really sorry for them. I had certainly walked in their shoes before. My second lesson: Make sure you are looking at the exhibit you're supposed to be judging. Last year the projects were set up two to a table. As we were interviewing the first group about their sources Andy realized I was studying the wrong exhibit. He elbowed me pretty hard and focused me on the correct project. Pretty embarrassing!!! Those boys noticed my faux pas I'm sure.

Now that History Day is officially off...I say let it snow!!!! We are prepared to basically hibernate this weekend. Andy went to the grocery store to make sure we were stocked up on essentials and I baked. Maia and Asher and I made peanut butter cookies, homemade ricotta bread and a yummalicious dinner. We also cut up an enormous amount of fresh fruit and veggies. Tomorrow we are going to try something new...spaghetti fondue. It's velveeta and spaghetti sauce all melted together to form, a hopefully yummy, dip for leftover bread and veggies. I think we'll also make some maple pull apart crescents and some big hearty dinner. We've got a couple of movies, a boatload of toys and a gazillion craft projects so I think we are all set. After this weekend though I'm officially over Winter and snow. Bring on the sunshine and warmer weather. Even Asher is sick of it, when he saw the snow today he said "oh, looks like we'll have to butt slide again" in the most unenthusiastic voice ever. Then he asked when we could go fishing again, I'm with ya kid!!!


Have a good weekend, I'm off to watch Robin Hood (1938 version), wish us luck Andy picked movie night movie again!!!

0 comments: