We spent Sunday early afternoon at the Inniswood Gardens. That is one of our 15 really amazingly cool metro parks:)
Isaac found some wild mushrooms while we were there.
As we were hiking along the paths at the gardens sticks, acorns and other such things were falling on my head. Not my family's head mind you just my head! The wind was howling so loud that it was seriously freaking Maia out. She was scared to death that one of the trees were going to fall on her. We of course told her she was crazy and to relax. Of course we would never take her somewhere where she would get hurt. Or face certain death. Geesh what kind of parents does she think we are anyways??? Never mind that this tree was uprooted. Just ignore that little tidbit okay...because we did!! We weren't about to let this little okay fine huge blown over tree deter us from a stroll in the woods.
Andy took this fab picture of me and the kids. I asked him if he was sure he got a good picture and he looked at the view finder and said it was a great picture. Uh GEE ya think so? Really? You can tell me this is a great picture? No wonder I have no pictures of me and the kids on display!!
Isaac decided he was Tarzan!
Andy checking out the rock garden.
Asher loved checking out the trains.
And then he found a face on the tree. Can you see it? He thought it was hysterical!!!
After we left the gardens we somehow stumbled on a body of water(Hoover reservoir?) so we decided to get out and enjoy the waves. Curiously nobody else was there. Except of course that poor seagull that was being tossed to and fro in the wind. The kids wanted to see boats but none were out. Hm wonder why? We enjoyed the water anyways. Andy and Isaac skipped rocks while Maia and I held onto each other for dear life.
The wind whipping our hair into our faces hard enough to actually sting.
Still we didn't have a clue as to what was going on? After I had enough gritty sand in my mouth to make me gag I made an executive decision to leave. I know technically Andy is the CEO in our house... but If mama ain't happy...ain't nobody happy.
We went on our merry way and found yet another metro park. If I thought the wind was bad before now it was really picking up speed. Tree branches and leaves were flying every which way. The kids started complaining about not being able to catch their breath. But did we leave? Nah. The kids were having fun!! After awhile I told them I was leaving with or without them. I was getting sick of tree bark hitting me in the head. They decided to see it my way and off we went. We have a new game that involves trying to find our way back home without hitting the highway. It helps us find cool new spots and figure out how all the suburbs fit together. Remember we are new in this town. So on our way home we were determined to not get on the highway. This is when we noticed that something was terribly wrong. There were downed trees everywhere. On cars, in the streets. on power lines, in parking lots...you get the point. We saw a tree fall on a car for heaven's sake. The 3 young men inside were all fine. Anyways as we got closer to home we realized that our neighborhood was hit just as hard as all the hoods we had seen. All of our neighbors lost trees and siding!!! Plus power!! It looked like some kind of war zone. And I gotta tell ya....the wind won this war!! We tried talking to the peeps in the hood. They were trying to give us the lowdown on how the wind was getting the best of us. Then I looked at my kids running through our yard, you know the one with all the trees? Wow my babies sure are having a good time I thought. But then I looked at the trees instead of my kids and realized maybe we better get the freak in the house. Because either we were standing sideways or the trees were. Plus I couldn't really hear all the details of how each and every tree went down because hello!!! it sounded like a tornado out there. So in we came. To ride out the storm. There was no rain, no thunder, no lightning.....just incredible crazy scary wind. I can't even begin to imagine what the people in Texas went through.
I'm just glad this tree didn't fall on us!! I can say with a certain amount of confidence that Andy and I are complete morons. Because really who takes their kids out in the middle of the mother of all windstorms without even realizing that there is a windstorm? That's right people......morons do!!!!!




4 comments:
howdy moron!! aka lori!! just kidding... i couldn't resist. it looks like you really had fun, even though the whole entire area was being blown away with 75mph winds...lol!!!!!!!!!
how funny...i love the pics to go with the blogging.. very fitting. you always make me chuckle.
have a great week,
sue
Hey Lori! I love your blog! The pictures are great. How nice to have so many great parks. We have community pools that are fantastic, but it would be lovely to walk through the woods (on a calm day). Darcie
Hey Darcie!!
I'm so glad to see you here:) I'll trade you a couple of parks for just a few pools! That way we each get the best of both worlds!! I'm gonna guess your new community may be smaller than mine. Do you have any idea how many people? Are you having fun exploring and finding new things? We're adventurers so that has probably been one of the best parts of the move. So glad to "see" you here!
Look Sue!! Darcie came to say Hi!!
Lori
On this particular day we decided to pick pumpkins which were adjacent to a huge corn field...... yeah we hit with lots of dry corn husks (is that the word?) and Trinity was not happy!
Glad you made it out alive and had fun!!!!
Post a Comment