CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Am I mean?

So Asher isn't feeling well. He woke up from his nap on Monday with a fever and a nasty headache. I mean a nasty headache!! Monday night was not a good night. I don't think anybody slept. Tuesday morning was worse. Asher's fever was out of control and he kept complaining about this awful headache. We started the whole tylenol/motrin ritual. It was so pathetic whenever he looked up at me, with tears streaming down his face, and told me he thought he was dying:( When he woke up from his nap Tuesday he started complaining about a sore throat! By last night we knew he needed a Dr. Of course we don't have a Dr. here. So we started looking into emergency rooms. Eventually Asher crashed and I stayed up all night researching urgent cares. First thing this morning we headed out. I knew my boy had strep. No doubt about it. We got to the urgent care and had virtually no wait. In fact we were the only ones there. The receptionist and the nurse were both super. They talked to Asher and tried to engage him. Of course he was having no part of it. So in comes the Dr., making all sorts of crazy claims about cows saying meow and frogs saying moo. pretty funny stuff. He was talking about how he was seriously considering teaching his brand new baby all the wrong animal sounds just to mess with the kindergarten teachers. oooookkaaayyy then...looks like we have a winner. Actually he was pretty funny. He took a throat culture then told Ash to feel free to sit on his motorcycle while we waited. He seriously had his ginormous Honda Goldwing INSIDE the office. Well Asher was thrilled to be sitting on this thing. I do think he took the unsuspecting Dr. by surprise when he asked for the keys and wanted to rev the red beauty up:) I gave doc the rundown on Uncle Kyle and explained that's how Ash knew his stuff. Kyle, you may be receiving a call from someone named Bob. Turns out he's trying to sell his bike because now that he's a daddy himself he feels kinda bad about lying to his own pop. Seems his dad has some steadfast rule about moped's and motorcycles being a big fat no no. He expressed concern that his sisters were gonna rat him out. Guess he doesn't want Karma to bite him in the butt in 30 years or so. So the culture came back positive for strep. No surprise to me. And this is where I start to question myself. I had to choose between two treatment options. A 10 day round of the pink stuff......or 1 shot in the butt of penicillin. I hate the pink stuff...it gives Ash an upset belly and I'll be honest here-it's a pain in the butt to remember to give that stuff 3x a day for 10 days. HHMMMM? Pain in the proverbial butt for me or a literal pain in the butt for Asher? What would you have done? It only took me a sec to bare my boys cheek for the nurse. She kinda gave me a dirty look and handed the needle over to the Dr. Bob. Asher was totally unsuspecting. By the time it was over he had snot, slobber and tears all rolling down his face. Dr. Bob told him he could sit on his bike again but Asher lamented that he will never never never be able to sit down again. It is 7 hours later and he has not sat on his bottom at all!! Poor guy!!! For what it's worth I chose the shot because I was told it would start working much sooner and be more effective than the pink stuff. So did I scar him for life? Will he never want to go to the Dr.s again? On the plus side he did enjoy looking at the Solara convertable parked in the ambulance entrance...I think we found a Dr after Ash's own heart.

4 comments:

Bj

Ahhh..Poor little guy. Well I am glad you found a Dr. and got him taken care of. Soon he will be running all over and bouncing off the walls. And no, you are not mean. As sick as he was, I would want the fastest meds possible.
BTW-What happened to your friends. the Drews?

secret sister

lori,
how is mr. asher? better i hope.
is he sitting down yet? that was a hoot!!!! shaun and i were losing it. keep it up, you are NOT a bad mom... you are a GREAT mom, i would of done the same thing..i myself loathe the pink stuff...lol
loveya,
sue

Anonymous

Awwww poor little Ash's butt!!!! If I had to choose I would've chosen the shot as well....... I forgot to give the pink stuff so often that I ended up having to set a timer all day!

Paw Paw

What a bum--mer about Ash. Hope you're feeling better, buddy. Hey every time I send you something it comes back. Have you changed email addresses?
Lova you