CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Finally Home

One of the most daunting tasks of this move has been trying to find a new church. When you've been at the same church for the past 12 years it's kinda scary to step out there and look for something new. It's hard to step blindly into a new place of worship when you know nothing about the atmosphere of that particular congregation. Take 2 Sunday's ago for example. I had no idea that Sunday morning whenever I was getting dressed that the church we would be attending had an unspoken "rule" that ALL ladies would wear dresses. It was pretty uncomfortable when I showed up in dressy black pants and a nice top. Now the outfit I was wearing was way dressed up compared to what I and everyone else wore to our previous (FBC) church. However it was not even close to acceptable at the church we chose to visit that Sunday. The service was great. But the congregation was...small and very elderly. Everybody was very nice but it just didn't feel like "home" to us. And while I was able to learn a lot from the pastor's words my children wouldn't have grown there. It's also hard to ask your children to "church hop". Think about how scary it would be to put yourself in a new situation every. single. Sunday. Never quite sure of what you should expect. Now picture it for the under 10 set. At least Andy and I get to stay together- the kids are all seperated and on their own. Church is supposed to be a place of nurturing and growth. A place of peace and a safe haven. Someplace that encourages you and equips you take on the world. Not a place that makes you fearful and nervous. Yet that is exactly what we've experienced every Sunday since we've been here. Today we woke up not looking forward to yet another new church tryout. Andy and I looked at each other and almost found an excuse to not go. A reason to stay home and shore up our defenses against the big bad world out there. Instead of putting ourselves smack dab in the middle of it. The kids murmured and without them knowing it we did too. But we went. Because God tells us to. When we pulled up to our destination I got the all too familiar sick belly. Wondering what we would find inside. We thought we may be a few minutes late (yeah yeah I know...BIG SURPRISE right?) so that added to the nervousness. Plus it seemed there were 2 seperate places to worship here. The main sanctuary and a building across the street. We weren't quite sure where we were supposed to be. So Andy grabbed a man's attention in the parking lot. His name was Eric and he was very helpful. Took us right to the children's ministry where 2 kind ladies explained the set up to us. The kids have both Sunday School and a Worship service. With a Pastor all their own. Isaac got to attend the Worship Service while Maia took part in Sunday School. If we had gotten there earlier both kids could have attended both services, but since they flip flop the classes between the adults Sunday School and Worship Services and we were only there for Worship this morning this is just how it worked out. Asher was welcomed with open arms into his classroom. Every single person we encountered were helpful, cheerful and talkative. After we dropped Asher off we headed across the street to take part in the contemporary service. They had a coffee bar!!!! For real people:) You make your own but you have oh so many options to choose from. There were people in jeans, suits, dresses and khakis. It was come as you are. Old and young. We chose the contemporary service so there was a contemporary acoustic band playing. Very laid back. But the songs were worshipful...focusing on Jesus instead of ourselves. And there was even some Amazing Grace thrown in there. I felt comfortable and at peace. I looked over at Andy and could tell he felt the same. The stress from the past week melting away as we were worshipping at Jesus' feet. It was the best worship I have experienced in a very long time. We're talking years here. Like since Pastor Frank. I didn't feel out of place at all. It just so happened to be communion Sunday. As I was praying before partaking in the Lord's Supper, making sure my heart was right, God gave me a very special gift. He gave me closure. Closure from our old life. Our house is on the market and our work in Dover is done. It's time to move forward now. Time to start a new life. My mourning period is over and now it's time to dance. Time to find new ministries and new friends and new joy. Time to serve Him in a new way. I don't know what that way will be yet but I know it will be exciting and good. When I took communion I took it with the understanding that I was embarking on a new adventure. Embracing a new life with open arms and an open heart. The sermon was simulcast on a screen from the main sanctuary. It was fantastic!! Easy to follow, straight to the point and right on Biblically. There were no fake tears or display of emotions. It was all straight from the Bible and hard hitting. Giving us all something to take home with us and to contemplate through the week. Not only did we have a great experience so did Maia and Asher. They both loved it. Isaac...well Isaac is Isaac. He will never be happy with anything new. But I think given time he will learn to like this new place. I even pointed out that they had their very own scout troop. Maybe that will be what sways him? I don't know. What I do know is that today...sitting there....I felt like I was finally "HOME". We're Southern Baptist now ya'll!!!

0 comments: