CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 11, 2008

A TIME TO REMEMBER

Hard to believe it's been one year already. I spoke these words at my grandfather's funeral in memory of him. He was and still is loved by many.

The last couple of days I have been flooded with memories of who my grandpa mason was to me. Little moments in time that make up a persons life. I remember very clearly his distinct laughter, watching him teach, stopping off at every garage sale along the way to search for a new piece of colored glass to add to great grandma’s collection. I remember eating at truck stops and family diners. My very first memory of ever being in a church was grandpa mason’s church. I must have been about 7 at the time and Kenny and I were staying with grandpa and Mickey for the week. Bright and early Sunday morning we were off to church. I remember being scared out of my mind at the prospect of being dropped off at a Sunday school class. I also remember how excited he was to show me and Kenny off to everyone he knew. Now I am a Sunday school teacher and just last Sunday I had 21 two year olds in my class.

Every single September he took Mickey, Kenny and me to the county fair. I remember photo shoots where everything had to be just so. He was a storyteller. I remember very long colorful stories of his life that were marked by lots of laughter and were a true testament of just how ornery he was. I’ll never forget how proud he was when he held my newborn babies. His whole face just lit up with joy. Over the years he and Mary would make unexpected visits to my home. My 3 little ones would climb all over him and I would scold them for wearing grandpa out. He would shoo me away and proceed to have loud raucous tickle matches with the kids. He loved children. At each visit we would discuss our shared faith in Christ and he would tell me how so very proud he was of me. He told me I was living out God’s purpose for me… being a wife and mother. G’pa was right about God’s purposes, even when it is not immediately clear; for instance:

48 years ago my grandpa Mason moved his little family to the Dover/New Philadelphia area. Right around the same time a man named J.D. Moesta moved his family from South Carolina to the Dover/ New Philadelphia area to become the new associate pastor of a local church. Through the Christian Businessman’s Association, and several pastoral committees, these two men met and became good friends. J.D.’s daughter babysat for Grandpa Mason’s children…Gpa Mason took all the Moesta’s family portraits. Eventually J.D. and Bennie Moesta found a new calling in a new state and moved on. Even though their daughter stayed in the area and started her own family, the two families lost track of each other.

Through a series of conversations this past week, another one of God’s purposes – just like what G’pa was referring to – was discovered: the late J.D. Moesta is my husbands grandfather. Andy and I have been married 13&1/2 years and we just learned of our family’s connection this week. God knew 48 years ago when He moved both of these families to the same place exactly what He was doing. These men listened to God’s still small voice and followed Him. They fulfilled one of their many purposes. And because of that Andy and I were exactly where we needed to be to meet, get married and fulfill God’s purpose for our life—2 generations later. We all have a purpose in life that only God Himself can reveal.

These past couple of days I have delighted in the thought of both beloved grandfather's hanging out in Heaven and marvelling at how their life choices brought their families together. Grandpa Mason is probably regaling Grandpa Moesta with story after story of their shared great grandchildren. Who would've guessed all those years ago?

I can only tell my stories but I know everyone here has their own story of how Jesus used Mason in their lives. I hope we all open our hearts so we can fulfill the purpose God has for us.

Who would've guessed that less than a year after I originally penned these words that I myself would be living out God's purpose in my life in a totally new way? I went back to read the words this morning just to remember a man I dearly loved. Not only did I get to relive memories but his life taught me a lesson all over again. And the best part? God knew when I wrote those words last year that they would be the very words that would minister to me today. To remind me that even though I don't know why I am here, in this new place, there is indeed a purpose for it..... I am living out God's will. And what an awesome testament to my Grandpa, a year after his death I am still gleaning lessons from his days as a young man. We love and miss you Grandpa. See you on the other side......













1 comments:

Anonymous

That may have been the first time I heard that story. Very interesting!

luv to all,
Tracy