So over the Thanksgiving Holiday we had our usual "What are you thankful for?" conversation with the kids. We do this every year and usually get some pretty great answers. This year though there was one kid in particular who kept throwing out the most selfish responses ever. I was pretty disappointed. At one point I just put it out there...life doesn't revolve around you kid. But then I got to thinking and came up with a different perspective. I proceeded to tell all 3 kids that life did indeed revolve around them. As individuals. It revolves around all of us as individuals. Now truth be told this way of thinking is the complete opposite of what I've tried to teach them thus far. I could see the confusion written all over their faces. Then I explained my thoughts. Life does revolve around us....and what WE can DO for OTHER PEOPLE!! We need to make our lives meaningful and fruitful by loving on and serving others. The whole World revolves around people who purposely set out to make a difference in the lives of others. If life didn't revolve around individual people setting out to help others, if we were all dependant completely upon ourselves, then none of us would get very far. God made us to need each other. He made each and every one of us with talents and strengths and also with weaknesses. We are supposed to complement each other!! In order for this to work, we EACH have to make OUR OWN lives about what WE can DO for others. Now I'm not talking about shucking off responsibility for ourselves. Expecting others to always bail us out or do everything for us. We are supposed to take care of ourselves in that respect. But what if I know I've been blessed with the ability to sew (I can't by the way) and I keep that gift all to myself. Making myself fabulous collections of haute couture that could rival anything seen on the runways of Bryant Park. Thrilled when everyone comments on my super design talent. But yet not sharing that talent with others in a meaningful way. Maybe I could teach others to sew for themselves, mentor a young person with an interest in design, make clothes for the less fortunate or sell my creations and then use the money I've earned to feed the hungry? There are so many ways you could go with this. Do you have a talent that your community could benefit from? Can you cook, balance a checkbook, play a musical instrument, read a book, teach others about nutrition or maybe you like animals. Maybe you can paint, build the biggest Lego tower ever, have a heart for the elderly or maybe you can fly an airplane? Whatever your strength or talent is, ask yourself how you can use it to make the World revolve around you. Not in a selfish way but in the way that God intended. In a way that happily and cheerfully serves others.
I promise Thanksgiving pictures are coming but I seem to have lost my camera cord. Hopefully I find it while I am cleaning today.
I also owe everyone who reads here an apology. I was using my Dad's computer this weekend and realized that everytime he logs onto my blog that the music in the sidebar starts playing. I did not realize this! I have to manually make the player pop out to hear anything. So I am sorry that everytime you have visited me in the last several months you have been greeted with the same song over and over!!! I'll bet that got super annoying super fast!!! I'll try and do better.
So much change!
1 month ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment