CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 21, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend

Good bye living room:Thank you for countless movie nights and Saturday morning cartoons. Thank you for that staircase that made me oh so very happy...especially when it was all wrapped up in garland and lights at Christmas time. Thank you for big chunky white woodwork that gave me the opportunity to paint my walls some amazing colors over the last 11 years.

Good Bye Picture window:



We will miss your view of our front porch and our swing. Maia is especially nostalgic here.

Good Bye Dining Room:Thank you for your lovely window seat....where all 3 of the kids loved to climb and gaze out. We read books here and sometimes even took a nap. We spied squirrels and bunnies and the changing of the seasons from those three windows. Thank you for hosting all of our family meals and listening to us as we described the best and worst parts of our day. Good Bye Kitchen:We transformed you with our own hands. You were our biggest project in the house. I probably spent most of my time in your company. Thank you for putting up with my loud music and crazy dancing and singing while I prepared meals, snacks, cleaned up and then started all over again. I know I can't sing or dance but you never complained when I did. I'll miss your beautiful lighting, counter tops and that sweet breeze that always blew through the windows.Good Bye you mean beast of a furnace:
I won't miss your inefficient ways. I won't miss the dust you blew all over my house and I certainly won't miss the fear you instilled in us every Fall when it was time to turn you back on again. Good riddance to you.



Good Bye Bedrooms that housed our dreams:

And our bedtime prayers and sweet lullaby's. All our favorite bedtime books and Chipper stories galore. Not to mention the various rendition's of "Jack". Your walls will forever hold my children's laughter and mischief and forbidden whispers after lights out. Good Bye the view from Isaac's bed:He missed you most of all the first month in our new home. Each new day he would wake up searching for The Colonel's face only to remember that, The Colonel ,was now 112 miles away. Good Bye my porcelain claw foot tub:

This is where I did my most profound thinking. Where my best blog posts were thought up!! This is the only room in the house that we didn't remodel. It doesn't reflect my style at all!! And I will never understand why someone would choose to put carpet in a bathroom. I stand by my thought that whoever did that didn't have BOYS. As much as I didn't care for the rest of the bathroom I will forever miss that tub. It gave the kids a great place to play and splash and blow bubbles and discover the properties of water and oh yeah get clean after a hard day of playing outside.

Good Bye patio:
Where I spent a lot of time sitting. Watching the kids swing and play in the sandbox. Chasing each other around the yard. And enjoying all my flowers and herbs. We actually built the patio about 2 years ago and it was one of our favorite places to be on warm sunny days.



Good Bye Fire Pit:
And of course who could forget dead animal Tuesday's!! This is the area of the yard that the kids and I always found the carcasses. We loved sitting around the fire in the dark and telling stories. Roasting marshmallows and talking about where life was taking us.

Good Bye you gigantic Sycamore tree:

I know Mr. McMeany Pants hates you but there is no need for you to worry. I've got you're back. I left your new owners a note telling them that you are big and strong and healthy. Letting them know how nicely you shade the house on warm days. If Mr. McMeany pants tries to bully them into cutting you down they will be armed with the correct information to throw back at him. Plus I don't think they can afford to cut you down just yet. You can continue to stand tall in all your magnificent glory. Dropping your gigantic leaves and even your messy bark. After all you've been standing in that same spot for longer than any of us have been alive. You are the original resident in the neighborhood!! I will miss you.

As I walked out this door for the very last time that is what I whispered....Good Bye old friend. Thank you for the last 11 years. Thank you for welcoming my babies home from the hospital. Thank you for your 4 walls that will forever hold our laughter, tears and memories. Thank you for keeping us warm in the Winter and cool in the Summer. Thank you for giving us a place of refuge. Thank you for giving us a place to grow and thrive and realize our dreams.


Good Bye old friend we will forever remember you with sweet memories.

PS Your new family will be moving in tomorrow. My prayers for you have been answered. They love and adore you. They are just as excited as we were when we moved in 11 years ago. They will bring with them new voices and new memories. Your insides will be filled with love and laughter again. Maybe even in the future the pitter patter of tiny feet or the romping of a puppy or maybe even the purrs of a tiny kitten. Be good to them.

4 comments:

Anonymous

Dang girl...you have me teary-eyed. What profound and sweet thought. I hope you turn this into some wonderful scrapbook pages...your words, pics...wow

Anonymous

i really don't know what to say... that was a very cool way to say goodbye.! :) still to choked up to write.. oh and the mc.meany pants was genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

You stink! I'm in tears...esp. w/ that song playing...I don't know who it is and I've heard it before over and over on your blog but it goes so well with the "goodbye old friend/home theme". That was a really good blog post though. Nice commentary/pics on your past life in that home.

luv,
Tracy

maila

Thank you so much for all of your kind words. Clearly this has been a very emotional time for me. I think I finally figured out exactly why it's been so heartbreaking for me though...and that is helping me heal and move on. I actually wrote the reasons all out but I'm not sure if I will post them or not. I figure people have to be pretty sick of my whining by now.

We did drive past the house once when we were home for Christmas and saw a kitty perched in the window at the bottom of the stairs. Funny thing is that Shiloh had a favorite spot on the stairs as well. I'm glad that there is life back in the house again:)

Love, Lori