I have faced an awful lot of my giants this past year. Which is unusual for me because I like my safe cozy spot centered smack dab in the middle of predictability. But this year I went out on a limb and let God turn my entire life upside down.
The past couple of weeks I have come even farther out of my comfort zone. I have forced myself to do the hard stuff. Maia and I took an all day roadtrip...by ourselves!! We traveled on the highway...to a city we've never been to...an hour and a half away...totally by ourselves!!!! This may not be a big deal to most people but it most certainly was to me. First of all- I DO NOT EVER drive on the highway here. And I really do mean NEVER. Secondly, I very rarely ever do things by myself. At the end of the day I was exhausted but totally proud of myself.
I have also went to a Sunday School class where I knew NO ONE at all. I drug myself out of bed super duper early, pushed through my fears, and went to class. Maia's Sunday School teacher invited us by e-mail and I knew it was the perfect opportunity for me to meet some like minded ladies. I was scared outta my mind but pushed myself to go and it turned out good in the end. We will be going back next week.
This past Saturday we went on a loooooong hike. Like a 2&1/2 hour hike. Have I mentioned that we have FANTASTIC metroparks here? Anyways, at the end of the hike the kids wanted to play on the very packed with kids and adults alike playground. The playground was the opposite way of our car. Andy asked me to take the kids to the playground while he went to get the car. I'm gonna be honest here and tell you that on a different day I would have given him puppy dog eyes and begged him not to make me go hang out with all those scary strangers all by myself. Maybe my mom taught me to fear strangers a little too much:) I don't know what happened to me but-I just smiled at him and the kids and I went on our merry little way. To the playground with all the scary strangers!!
As the kids played I sat on the bench and people watched. It struck me how many different cultures were gathered in one area. There was a pavilion full of people of Middle Eastern descent. There were 2 European (French I believe) families. There was a very large group of Asian Pacific Islanders playing duck duck goose!! Adults no less :) And last but not least a Mexican grandma with her grandbabies. I'll bet there were over 100 people in all on this little playground. All different. All special. All with something amazing to offer the World. And it struck me...I'm one of them. I have no reason to be afraid of these people because I. Am. One. Of. Them.
At the end of day...random strangers are probably NOT judging me. And if they are? It doesn't matter what they think of me. What matters is that I am being my best self. That I am serving God and my family to the best of MY abilities. It's time to stop trying to measure up to everybody else and instead just BE myself.
I think at 35 I'm FINALLY growing up ya'll.
Bet ya'll wanna know what I've gotten for my birthday huh? Here it is:
Andy and the kids--2 stacks of paper (whimsy and all about boys) and my Storybook cartridge for my Cricut. Plus the promise of a shopping trip for clothes in the near future.
Gpa Bud and Gma Ruth- the sweetest softest pair of Summer jammies. Love them!!
Aunt Jackie--A 22in electric griddle. So excited to finally be able to make more than 2 pancakes at a time!!
My Mom and Dad--White Tea and Ginger body wash and lotion. One of my very favorite scents. I'll keep you updated on the rest of the weeks gifts.
Asher--he actually told Andy that he was giving me his old junky toys he didn't want anymore!! He was so proud to wrap up a motorcycle and a miniature plastic construction sign. I love that he knows I'll love his junk just as much as I would love his treasures.
So much change!
1 month ago




2 comments:
I have a big electric skillet that I love making pancakes in! It makes such a difference, no need for butter or oil -its nonstick and cleans up great!
I also have the All About Boys stack...the 12x12 and 8x8(?).
The lilac bush sounds lovely. I love scents...and would love some sweet smelling bushes, etc. around our house.
luv,
Tracy
you rock!! glad that you had an awesome day..:)
Post a Comment