CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Friday--Day 6

Friday morning started off kinda slow. We had already packed a lot in and we were all getting kind of tired by this point. My plan was to go to Williamsburg because I knew we wouldn't be able to pack in everything we wanted to see there in 1 day. However nobody else agreed with me. After some internet research Andy and I decided to surprise the kids with something we thought they would like.

But first we needed to get some breakfast. There were some very neat shops and restaurants close to our hotel that we wanted to try and we decided that now would be a great time for that. This was a very upscale neighborhood. Hip and trendy for sure. There was a Belgian Chocolatier who's cheapest goodies were sold at 35 dollars a pound!! Anyways we picked a much more moderate cafe being broke er I mean the frugal family that we are:) Yeah frugal that's what we are!! Not broke...frugal.
This is where things start to go downhill. We were all getting out of the car and trying to orientate ourselves when a car slows down beside us and a woman starts yelling out her window!! It took us a second or two to realize that this lady is telling Isaac off!! I walked towards her car to try and figure out what is going on but she is wholly focused on my son. Isaac was saying "no I didn't" but I couldn't figure out what exactly he didn't do. Then I realize this woman is accusing him of doing who knows what and screaming "oh yes you did" at him. None of us know exactly what it is she thought he did because she was talking all ghetto and we were having a hard time understanding her. It was very upsetting!! Andy made his way around to the back of the car to try and get this whole thing straightened out and when the lady saw him she sped away. I think she was crazy!! I wish she would've stopped because then all the people eating outside, who were witnesses, could've told her she was crazy:) They were right beside us and they didn't see Isaac do 1 single thing wrong. The only thing we could figure was that Isaac stretched when he got out of the car and she thought he made a gesture at her or even she possibly thought he threw something at her car? Who knows! She was wack-a-doodle-do though. She rattled all of us!!
Breakfast turned out to be not so great. I'm not sure if it was because the food was really bad or because we had all lost our appetite after our encounter with crazy woman. All I know for sure is that we couldn't wait to get out of there!!

We ended up taking the kids to Norfolk Botanical Gardens. We figured they had something for all of us there. Asher had been wanting to take a boat ride and they had that. The kids were in love with the water and they had a splash park there. Andy and knew we would enjoy the walks through all the flowers and plants.


Maia and me in the rose garden.


Andy and kids on the bridge.

Asher was looking for the boat.

They had an enclosed butterfly garden. It was advertised that the butterflies would land on you and you could touch them. The truth is the butterflies did not land on anybody and they didn't want us to touch them. Butterflies wings are very fragile and touching them could break them...thus killing them! This tree was in the butterfly enclosure and I LOVE it. I mean L.O.V.E. it!! I want one:)





Entrance to the splash park. World of Wonders Garden.


A view from the bridge.








Rainbow Tunnel.
Asher loved this pump. He would've stayed in this spot all day if we let him.

The garden was sectioned out into different regions. This was the Southwest area.


Looking for frogs.

Poor Asher this is the closest he came to boat ride. By the time we got to the park the boat rides were all booked up:(
Climbing the rocks.
He made it!

And so did he:)
We took a tram ride through the grounds and a guide explained lots of wonderful details to us. Isaac and I sat next to each other and I have to say this was probably my fave part of the day. It is not often that I get one on one time with just him and we really had fun. I know my face is cut off but I don't care. I'm just thankful for capturing a moment I hope to never forget:) Look he even let me put my arm around him. He was super tired and snuggled in all nice and tight. I was very aware that before too long he won't want to cuddle with me anymore so I took full advantage!

I love these. They had them in ALL different colors. Just beautiful. I had no idea that the color of the blooms is entirely dependant on the PH levels in the soil.


Part of the Japanese Gardens. We stayed for a long time and watched the koi in the pond.

There was an airport overlook on the way out so we sat and watched the planes for awhile.
Maia was wiped out and she let anyone who would listen to her know!! :) Poor girl...it WAS a lot of walking that day. We were all starved so we left in search of dinner. Unforunately we ended up in THE WORST neighborhood I have EVER been in!! And that's saying a lot ya'll because I've lived in El Paso Texas before:) We definitely did not belong in this neighborhood:) Andy told the kids to duck down and be quiet until we found our way out. I will say for as run down and filthy and downright scary as this section of town was...they did have one of the most beautiful churches I've ever seen. I think the kids got a new appreciation for exactly how incredibley blessed we truly are.
After we made our back to safer ground we found a local chain for dinner. It was very good and it was fun to try something new. We were all exhausted and headed back to our hotel for some swimming and bed. We knew the next day would be a long one....It was gonna be the 4th of July and we were spending it in Williamsburg!
One last picture. These are the mysterious plants we had growing up our trellis in Dover. Nobody could ever put a name to them for us. Well they are growing ALL OVER Virginia...turns out they're called Trumpet Vines!!










1 comments:

secret sister

The pictures are so cute...I love the one with Asher in his boat! I can see that the Lord certainly kept you all safe on your vacation. You ran into alot of dangerous situations that could have turned out VERY BAD!! It must have really shaken Isaac up to hae that woman yelling like that. Sounds almost like she might be Bi-polar...very dangerous type of person to be around. We are thankful the Lord kept His umbrella of protection around your entire family and you all had a great time. Looks like Maia might have had some rough times..LOL..LOL..like, too much walking, too many places that didn't really interest her etc. All in all, sounds like you had a great "get away" time.....thanks for sharing! Love...Mom