
We learned that there were black farmers at this time that also had slaves of their own. I did not know this and it frankly stunned me!! Did anybody else learn this in school? We also learned lots of neat African American customs and where they originated from. Like Okra is straight from Africa not the South. It was found to grow well in the South because of the climate and it brought comfort and familiarity to the Africans so they started growing it. Africans were beading shells into their hair as a sign of wealth and status. Some of the Africans were from wealthy prominent tribes in Africa and came from more money than their owners could ever hope to possess. The wealthy white gentry class wanted the more unique Africans as their house slaves because it showed off their own status to their friends. So the Africans with many shells beaded into their hair or bones and plates in their noses or mouths or the big gigantic holes in their ears (like is popular now) were more likely to be assigned work in the house where they would be put on display as a sign of their owners wealth and status. I could go on and on I tell ya!!
Here is Asher grinding some corn inside the slave quarters
I also thought it was interesting that fireplaces were made to be temporary structures. Today we worry about IF our house catches on fire. Back then they worried about WHEN it would catch on fire. The fireplaces were built so that when they caught fire a few ropes thrown around the top and a little manpower would actually pull the whole chimney away from the building structure...thus hopefully saving their house from burning to the ground. That is also the reason they built kitchens as completely seperate buildings from the main living quarters.
Isn't he cute? He is standing by the barrier that was meant to keep people out of the town's magazine. The magazine is where all the town's arms and ammo were kept.
Here is an eager Isaac leading the pack of us inside the magazine.
Isaac was in Heaven checking out all these weapons
I liked the drums!
The boys were totally engrossed and had lots of questions. I couldn't tell you the answers now for the life of me!! Guess I didn't find this part fascinating!!
The town was closing up about this time so we headed out and looked for food. Even the the Colonial portion of the town was closing down the town itself was still hopping. There were lots and lots of shops and neat little diners to explore. We were looking for cheap so we chose an authentic 50's diner. It was fun to sit up at a bar and the limeades were to die for!! We also explored a couple of little shops and found some fun candy treats.
It was a long day and a bit chaotic but in the end it was all good. Andy and I had a long talk at the end of the night. We planned out the next day a bit better and we were determined to get an early start. We also talked about being in charge. I was so determined that everyone have a great time that I was letting the kids rule the show. And then I was upset when they would complain or whine. No matter how much we gave them their own way they were never satisfied. In the end we told the kids that mommy and daddy were on vacation and that they were lucky we brought them along for the ride. We were back in control and things ran much more smoothly!!
A couple of FYI's.....if you feel that you should bring your stroller along on a trip and your husband doesn't feel it's necessary because your car is already packed....find a way to be sneaky and pack it in there when he is not looking!! I knew I should have done this but I didn't. In the end your husband and his shoulders will thank you if you take this advice. Trust me....by the end of the trip we were thinking of picking up a cheap stroller. Even though Asher doesn't use his anymore it would've been invaluable on this trip!!
If you are going to Colonial Williamsburg and you don't like your feet to get dusty and dirty then DON'T wear flip flops. I was completely grossed out by all the sandy dirt all over my little piggies!! That is like nails on a chalkboard to me!!




0 comments:
Post a Comment