Well it has been one crazy week around here to say the least. Maia had her ortho apt on Tuesday afternoon. After driving 45 minutes through a snowstorm we sat in a crowded waiting room for over an hour. Some crazy lady next to us was cursing loudly into her cell phone about her lazy boyfriend who apparently she is sick of. I felt sorry for Wendy, the lady on the other end of the line. I know this because she said her name, with great emphasis, about every third word. Why do people want a whole waiting room full of strangers to know their personal business? Honestly I could care less if she hooked up with a 24 year old lazy mama's boy! And Maia certainly didn't need to hear the colorful adjectives she used to describe him either. Anyways, after we finally got back to see a Dr. we had to sit in the exam room for another eternity. Andy and I amused ourselves watching a crazy squirrel jump from a tree to the side of the building over and over. I don't think I've ever seen a squirrel climb the side of a brick building before. The Dr finally came in and made his diaganosis in less than two minutes. I'm not kidding, it was two minutes tops. Maybe it had something to do with the clock reading 4:50. The Dr. said yes she did have a fracture, we were treating it with an air splint that he did indeed have in his office but couldn't actually dispense to us. They did a crappy job rewrapping her leg, gave us a script for the splint and sent us on our way!! By this time it was after 5:00pm and anyplace that may have carried the splint was closed. We were all tired, hungry and cranky by this point. There was a lot of crying and yelling going on in our van as we raced all over Canton, in the afore mentioned snowstorm, trying to find anyplace that carried that stupid splint. I know I shouldn't have been crying and screaming but I just couldn't help myself. Plus it gave me chance to use some of the new words I learned in the waiting room. I'm joking, sort of, I didn't actually say the words out loud but I do think I thought a few of them in my head! I did eventually pull myself together and start acting like an adult again. They did such a cruddy job rewrapping the leg that now it was hurting Maia pretty badly. We came home drugged her up, fixed their bad wrap job and went to bed.
Wednesday morning I found out that this splint was near impossible to find. I called all the medical supply places in the area and no one had it in stock. They all wished me luck finding one. Pretty discouraging considering Maia was supposed to be wearing this thing 24/7 for the next 6 weeks. I was starting to get a little panicky by late morning when God smiled down and fixed it for us. One of the supply places in Canton called back and they had the splint in her size. I asked if my aunt could pick it up (it was still snowing and hello gas is $3.20 a gallon) if I gave them the info over the phone. The lady laughed (I swear) and informed me Maia needed fitted professionally. I did NOT want to make another trip to Canton!!! All the crying and screaming from the day before left me scarred. I didn't want to put my family through another tantrum from me. The lady on the phone realized my dilemna and informed me that Yankee Bionics had an office in New Phila. Who knew. Anyways just by coincidence (yeah right) one of the Canton techs would be driving to Phila to drop off some paperwork and they would be more than happy to bring the splint with them. Maia's apt was set for 3pm and a huge boulder lifted off my shoulders. God is always looking out for us!! All you have to do is look in the simple things and you can always see Him working. Maia got her air cast, it took all of 2 minutes. Professional fitting and all. It's just a regular old air cast. Hard to believe something so small could cause so much stress, not to mention cost so much money ($120.00 ? whatever).
Everything the last couple of days has been all about Miss Maia so I feel the need to mention the boys in my life. Isaac learned a couple of new words at school this week and the gestures that go with the words!! His little friend taught him. We quickly explained that these new words and gestures were not appropriate and we never wanted to see or hear them. Isaac explained to us that it was not his friends fault because his friends family says these things all the time. Isaac told us it wasn't the best family and in fact his friend is trying to quit saying the N word. Isaac doesn't know what the N word is but I think I may have a guess. Isaac asked if we could get his friend a Bible because he was trying to explain to him who Jesus is and the friend was interested in learning more. My 2nd grader witnesses more than me I think. Isaac has always had a very special relationship with The Lord and a love and empathy towards people in pain. Man I love that kid. He could teach all of us something.
Asher's unique sense of humor has been showing quite a bit this week as well. He stayed with my friend Carla while we took Maia to the Dr. Asher affectionately refers to Carla as grandma. He knows darn good and well she is not his grandma, he also knows it makes her mad!!! LOL He has been doing this for about a year now. Is it bad that I think it's hilarious??? Asher has a huge imagination!!! All day today we have been pretending that I'm Santa Clause and he is the daddy. I have no idea why I just follow his lead. After awhile he started asking for presents. I tried handing him invisible gifts but he didn't go for that. He wanted pretend Santa to give him real gifts. You think he had the real gift thing in mind when he thought up this game? He is too stinking smart and maybe a little crafty! We may be in big trouble in a few years.
So much change!
2 months ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment