This is my very first time blogging! I guess I'll just jump right in. Today I have been thinking a lot about my 8 year old. Isaac has always been steadfast in his faith. He is very sensitive and aware of the people around him. The last week or so he has been totally into Pokemon cards. Someone at school gave him his very first pack of cards and he has been obsessed with them ever since. Kids I have never even seen before are now knocking on my door to trade these ridiculous cards. At night before bed he has a meltdown trying to round up all these cards that he has left all over the house. Last night we went through the same routine-then about an hour later he came down the steps with big glistening tears in his eyes. Our conversation goes something like this:
Me: Isaac why in the world are you out of bed again? (then I notice the tears)
Isaac: Mom, I've been thinking and I'm done with Pokemon cards.
Me: okay?
Isaac: I think they're making me greedy. They're all Ive been thinking about and I just want more more more. I don't think this is what God wants from me. I'm going to take them to Toys r Us and stand outside and sell them for $10.99. (ever the businessman)
Fast foward to today at the bus stop. Isaac comes over to me and whispers in my ear that a little girl told him the Bible is 99% a lie. She proceeds to tell him people are leaving our church (not true) Because we are lying to them. Isaac has been taught from day 1 that the Bible is the inspired Word of God, that Jesus Christ died for our sins and is our one and only Saviour. He knows this is true in his heart and he lives it the best an 8 year old boy can. As a parent, how in the world do I explain to him that yes we know we are right in our beliefs, but you cannot tell this little girl she is wrong because as much as we know we are right her parents also know they are right. It's not our place to contradict what her parents are teaching her about their faith. Just as it isn't her place to contradict everything we've always taught him. I always knew this would come up, I just didn't expect it to pop up quite so soon. I want to raise my children to be loving and compassionate to all people. I want them to be kind and respectful. I also want their faith to remain intact and grow into a beautiful relationship with Christ. I haven't figured out how to teach both things to a boy who sees things only in black or white...right or wrong. He figured the Pokemon thing out all on his own (with the Holy Spirit), but this is bigger. I only have a few hours until I figure out the right words to help him keep his faith but also let this other little girl keep hers.
So much change!
1 month ago




0 comments:
Post a Comment